MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and also have shown broad application prospects in many fields. The following is a detailed overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material composed of M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, such as titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is composed of M, A, X, the 3 aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, these are widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is a new kind of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements using the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A refers back to the main-group elements, and X refers back to the aspects of C and N. The MXene material is really a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials composed of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials get them to have a wide range of applications in structural materials. For instance, Ti3SiC2 is a common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials are also found in functional materials. For instance, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials also provide better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be utilized in energy materials. For instance, K4(MP4)(P4) is one from the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to produce solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
What Exactly are MXene materials?
MXene materials are a new form of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, just like the structure of graphene. The top of MXene materials can interact with more functional atoms and molecules, as well as a high specific surface, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually are the etching treatment of the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties like electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials composed of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the opportunity to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Uses of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to boost the action and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity may be used in electromagnetic protection. For instance, MXene materials can be used as electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, as well as other applications in electronic products and personal protection, enhancing the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. For example, MXene materials bring gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which may realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, with all the continuous progress of technology and science and also the increasing demand for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved. The following aspects could become the focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and methods can be further explored to realize a more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, there is however still room for more optimization. In the future, the composition, structure, surface treatment and other elements of the fabric may be studied and improved in depth to boost the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have been popular in numerous fields, but there are still many potential application areas to get explored. Down the road, they may be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a wide application prospect in many fields. With the continuous progress of science and technology and the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application parts of MAX and MXene materials will be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.